Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Greek Festival

Part of my Saturday was spent at the annual Greek Festival all by myself. I wanted to go that bad. Wouldn't you?

With food everywhere I looked, it was difficult deciding what to order, but with a line that seemed to never end, I had plenty of time to think about it. Souvlaki on a stick? Feta burger? Calamari? Lamb gyro? And would I order $3 fries with that? I decided on the chicken souvlaki pita with lettuce, tomato, onion, tzatziki sauce, and feta crumbles, but no fries. The sandwich, drowning in sauce and cheese, looked more artery-clogging than appetizing when served, but it was definitely delicious! I sat down next to a married couple and enjoyed my lunch while getting to know them a bit.

A few onlookers called this disgusting, but lambs roasting on spits make me hungry!


Every sandwich would be better in a pita.


Shaving the lamb



(Speaking of gyros, please pronounce this word correctly next time you go to order one! I was chatting with several people in line who insisted on calling it "JY-roh", when the actual pronunciation is closer to "YEAR-oh". Even the man behind the counter had given up on pronouncing his specialty correctly. It's like when people can't get your name right, so you just give up and pronounce it wrong yourself. Case in point: my friend pronounces her Spanish last name "VIL-uh-REEL" instead of "VEE-yuh-ray-ahl". Ok, end tangent! :)

I'm not usually one for pastries, but I couldn't leave without trying a couple. It was another decision that wasn't easy to make, but the man behind the counter ensured me that his mother's melomakarona cookies (honey-dipped spice cookies) were to die for, and I also chose a chocolate-drizzled rolled baklava treat.


You would've thought I might be satisfied after stuffing myself with so much Greek goodness, but I couldn't leave empty-handed. I grabbed a fresh bag of kettle corn, a festival favorite, for munching at home.


I was so full that I couldn't eat for the rest of the day, and I ended up at the gym TWO times to make up for my feasting. Worth it!

3 comments:

Emme McClain said...

Thanks for your kind post on my blog! This Greek festival looks like a blast!

Blessings always!

Emily
http://duluthstarofthenorth.blogspot.com

Pink Sun Drops said...

Ahh!! I love it! So wish I was able to go with! The lamb carving reminds me of a restaurant we had in Capitola when I was growing up. Gyros were my favorite!

k said...

Yum! I would have gone with you. I LOVE greek food!