Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Hunt

The housing hunt. It began as soon as I learned I'd be moving out here. CousinJ & K had already extended the offer of a month's stay at their home, but I didn't know how it would go and wanted to be prepared. I hate to be a burden staying with someone for free.

So far, though, it's gone so well. Their home is beautiful. They are so hospitable. They even insisted that I not buy a single food item while I live with them - they'd pick up whatever I wanted/needed - so I could save money. I get a free ride to work and back every day (except a few days that I've needed to take the bus). Best of all, I get to come home to family every night when everything else in my life is new and different. I haven't been homesick for a moment yet.

They obviously don't mind having me around either. In return for all they're giving me, I've agreed to baby-sit one night a weekend so they can go out and not pay $12/hr for a sitter! K also let me know that if I need to stay a bit longer, it's fine (she mentioned July 1st) so that takes some pressure off.

Last night was my first look at a house with a bunch of girls. So much about it is perfect, yet it just doesn't feel right. The price is unbeatable, the neighborhood is safe and nice with huge new homes going up all around, and the commute is easy, too. The house is so-so. It's tired and needs new living room carpet, but it's good-sized and not cramped. The issue is . . the girls. They are so nice . . but. But I don't know if I would enjoy living with them. I'm not looking for best friends or anything, but I'd like to be able to have some common interests with at least one of my roommates. I shouldn't judge . . I shouldn't think that I have nothing in common with them . . but sometimes you just know . . . you just know that you have different, shall I say, senses of humor? I mean, I was thinking, "I don't know if I'd want to have company over." They are so nice . .what's wrong with me? I'm afraid that I'd get . . annoyed maybe. I'm afraid that I wouldn't want to hang out with them . . that it wouldn't be fun for me. I mean, I could do it with one or two roommates like that, but four? Am I nuts? I'm not going to find anything that is priced like this in a good neighborhood . . I'm not. The place I'm looking at tomorrow is $200 more a month! That adds up.

Thoughts anyone?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you're not nuts. FOUR roommates? Can you imagine the drama?! Girls or guys it's bound to be there. $200 more a month is worth your sanity. Hopefully you can find something even more in your price range that suits you perfectly. Good luck as you continue your hunt!

Alyssa said...

I agree, it will get way old way fast if you are already unsure. Even if you were sure that is allot of people in one house!

Anonymous said...

Where you live should be your sanctity. Once you really get into your job, you are going to want a place that feels good. Trust your instincts. It seems you have in the past.

Cady said...

i'm with everyone. i've never had roommates and i never would have wanted to. having your own space and being able to do whatever you want with it is worth the extra $. and psd is right about the drama. man. i wouldn't even want to think about that!

a tall sassy gal said...

I agree with Pink....too much drama. Keep looking you will find something. :)

a tall sassy gal said...

I agree with Pink....too much drama. Keep looking you will find something. :)

L said...

The crazy thing is, you guys, they are so nice that I'm not worried about drama at all . . just getting annoyed. BUT, I've already got a few more places to check out, so I'll keep you posted.

k said...

I am going to buck the trend and say I actually like living with roommates (haven't done it in quite some time, but am looking forward to it next year). As you said, you don't have to be best friends with your roommates, 24-7, but it is nice to have someone there if you want to hang out, or be able to retreat to your room if you want to be alone. A huge selling point for me on a place to live is commute time and the neighborhood. Having had both a long and short commute, I will never go back to the long one. And I refuse to live in a neighborhood without character. In my opinion, I'd rather pay for location over space.

That being said, if something just feels off, you may want to go with your gut. Or would you have to sign a lease? Maybe you could sign on for a shorter amount of time, like 6 months, and have time to look into other options or meet a friend(s) that you could end up living with.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»