Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Lesson #1

My first lesson learned in D.C.:

Don't overestimate your short-term memory.

Yesterday, I spent a good half hour walking around the city not knowing which way was which . . east, west, north, south. . I didn't know. Upon closing my laptop (failing to check the metrobus website) and heading out the door at work, I realized that I had not confirmed which bus stop I needed to get to in order to get home. Keep in mind, though, that I had taken the bus home from work once . . er, maybe twice . . (there goes that killer short-term memory of mine). At any rate, I thought I knew where the bus stop was. I mean, not exactly . . I couldn't tell you which intersection it was at . . but I knew that once I got outside, it would come back to me.

The Lord does have a sense of humor, because He knows that I think I'm so great with directions. He knows that I don't like to admit when I'm lost either. Today, I had to admit that I was lost to 4 people.

First, the doorman in my building. "Sir, do you happen to know where the nearest eastbound bus stop is." Nothing.

Second, a co-worker (and fellow Nebraskan, I might add) of mine that I grabbed as he was leaving the building. He was kind enough to walk with me to a bus stop and give me directions as to how to figure out which bus stop it was that I needed to get to. I didn't heed his advice, because I didn't think I needed to "ask a bus driver [at this wrong stop] how to get to an N4 eastbound stop". Instead, I kept walking to various stops on various blocks, meanwhile I should mention that the heat index was 100 and I was melting.

Third, my mother whom I called and actually asked to get online and search for the metrobus site. I also mentioned to her in the same breath, "I'm so comfortable here in the city. I mean, I know I'm lost, but I'm going to find my way home. It's really not a big deal. I'm not worried about it." After about ten minutes, as I was very close to getting some valuable information, my phone died. My blackberry wouldn't pick up a signal.

Fourth, a Golden Triangle employee whom I stopped and asked about my bus stop. He proceeded to tell me my feet were pretty (I have always liked my feet) and walkie-talkied someone about the stop. He then gave me wrong information. I did just as he said and did not find my stop.

Finally, the dampness under my arms got to a point that I could no longer bear and I hailed a taxi and paid $12.60 + tip to get home.

I now humbly admit that I, L___, do not know my way around D.C. I know the intersection of my office building and I know how to get to Burberry, Anne Taylor, and Nine West from my office building. I vow to make no more claims about my stellar short-term memory or my amazing sense of direction. Neither exist.

5 comments:

k said...

Getting lost is how you learn your way around a new city! By the end of the summer, you'll be a pro!

Lindsay Blake said...

man, i think every city i go to i get lost. it's nothing new. it happens to everyone, so don't feel too bad. you will pick up on the city. i'm glad you like it!

s said...

please- i can't count how many times i have said,"oh don't worry i am really good with directions." then moments later i am somewhere, but not the place i intended to be. k is right though getting lost really teaches you the way around the city.also, speaking from expierence dc isn't the easiest city.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»