Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long, Slow, Beautiful Weekend

The only thing missing this weekend was a friend to walk along the beach with. I suppose I could've taken a stroll with CousinJ & K, but I just wanted a close friend and good conversation.

The 8 hour ride south sucked! It sucked because I thought my 90-degree-angled seat in the Tahoe couldn't recline. K didn't think it could recline either. As a result, my back hurt all weekend from trying to get comfortable and sleeping in awkward positions. I couldn't believe that GM (I'm a big fan of GM) would miss something so important when creating such a wonderful, fully-equipped SUV. Well . . I should've asked my cousin, because it turns out the seats do recline . . I just couldn't find the lever. Imagine my delight upon discovering this as we began our trip back home. . . I almost cried.

I loved Kiawah Island. It's full of trees and marshes with over 700 alligators (I wanted to see one, but didn't). K's condo is right on the beach so all windows provide an amazing view. We kept the screen door open at all times for the breeze and the sound of the waves hitting the shore. The weather was perfect all weekend. Kiawah is unique in that you have to either have property or a condo or hotel reservation to even get on the island (there's only one hotel, The Sanctuary).

The first day, it was incredibly humid, but the breeze was constant and kept us cool enough. Despite my efforts to properly coat myself in SPF 15, I got pretty red. I did stay out for 5 hours, though, which practically nullifies the fact that I tried to protect my skin.

Day 2, we decided to give our skin a break, so K, Baby Walker, and I went to Charleston to shop at all the boutiques and walk around at the Piccolo Spoleto art festival. (CousinJ and K have some great paintings in their house, and I'd love to be able to do the same in my home someday.) K also showed me where she and J got married, since I wasn't able to go. Charleston was as neat as I imagined it would be with all the historical homes and buildings. I'd love to spend more time there someday.

Day 3, we laid out again. My skin had made an excellent recovery, so it was time for some more exposure. Again, no thanks to my sunscreen, I got burned. Really, though, that's the way it goes with my skin. I can't tan first. I must burn. But, it must not be too bad, because it always turns brown within 24 hours.

It being my last day, I just had to get in the water. I've been to the ocean a bunch, even in the last few months, what with my time in San Diego and my day trip to Ocean City, but I hadn't actually gotten in the ocean in 3 years! . . (the last time was Miami Beach). I love the water so much that I was almost giddy riding the warm ocean waves. I didn't want to get out!

That night, I had a blast baby-sitting Baby Walker and Isabelle, the dog, so that J & K could go out. We hung out on the balcony for a long time as the sun set. *Sigh* It was beautiful. I was just really jealous of all the people out for evening strolls or bike rides on the beach.

Needless to say, I had a great time and am hoping, hoping, hoping that I can go back someday!

5 comments:

k said...

Your min-vacay sounds absolutely wonderful!

s said...

sounds like a really great weekend and i really like the dress you wore the gala thing.

Cady said...

sounds like a great trip! i would love to go there sometime!

Alyssa said...

wow, i want a beach house....in my best winey voice! I love love your dress! Gorgous! I would not expect anything less from you however.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»