Sunday, June 11, 2006

Two Questions

Two questions I've been wondering about:

1. Why does no one call you when you move away?

Do they think you're busy and won't asnwer anyway or return phone calls. Do they figure since you can't hang out what's the point of calling? What if I was lonely and completely miserable here in this new place? I'm not, but what if I was?

2. Why does blogging have such a bad reputation?

I have heard so much negative talk about blogging since I've been here. You would think it was the equivalent to having a big "L" painted on your forehead. I make no comments when others bring the topic up. Not so much because I'm embarrassed, (because part of me would love to defend it) . . but I don't want anyone asking what mine is or ever trying to find it. Blogging, for me, just started as a creative outlet . . then, it turned into a way to say things I wanted to say, but may not have brought up in conversation. Now, it serves as a great way to let people at home know what's going on with me, although, to be honest, I sometimes forget anyone I know reads and am probably too open. I never thought that I'd "meet" other great people around the country, but that, too, has been so much fun. I've learned a lot from these 'strangers' that I feel I know pretty well. Pink introduced me to her sweet cousin out in San Diego which helped me plug into a church and meet people. And I'm about to meet Miss Independent for lunch this week. So I don't care what anyone says about blogging. I think it's awesome :)

6 comments:

Stacey said...

I went through the same thing when I moved away from my college town and left my friends. I was excited to start a new chapter of my life, but at the same time I needed their support. When the phone calls began the dwindle, so did my spirit. I wondered if I'd made the right decision in moving to a town where I knew no one. But, it all worked out, and I developed new friends in my new town (which it sounds like you're doing easily). I'm guessing your friends think you're super busy in D.C. and maybe they don't want to bug you too much. :)

a tall sassy gal said...

I feel like sometimes I am the only who tries to keep the friendship going with the friends who live far away. It gets aggravating they don't call or at least email sometimes.

Blogging mmm I have met interesting people on here and one day would love to meet some of them. You are included! :) But I have never told any of my close friends that I do. Just easier to vent without them reading it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! I wonder if people who have nothing but negative things to say about blogging either haven't tried it for themselves or if they did didn't share enough of who they are for people to be interested in reading them.

Oh and the friend thing... I've never particularly experienced one of MY friends moving away. But I have experienced where I've moved away and I've been the one to keep the friendship going. I always thought it was on their part that they were thinking that my life was too new and full and busy carving oiut a new life to be bothered by talking to them... so I didn't mind so much calling them, especially when I needed it. When I didn't well my life was too busy creating my new life :) . Hehe.

Glad things are going well for you there sweetie. I don't know where my comment went to your housing opportunity, but you'll never have another chance in your life to do this so I think it's awesome you're doing it now! It's going to be a great experience for you!

Have fun with Ms. Independent!!

s said...

i hear the same things about blogging all the time and like you i never say anything, but i also wonder why the negativity? i have always been the one to move away and some friends are very hard to keep in touch with. it hurts my feelings sometimes when i would always call them or email them. i realized though that some friends are just bad at that sort of thing. it works out though because they also tend to be the friends that i just have huge catch up sessions with. it is hard though.

Lindsay Blake said...

someone once told me that a true friendship does not ask who called who last... if you want a friendship to last you have the power to do so... a true friendship is about dieing to yourself... ie. you and me. i'm not a BIG phone talker, i think you knew that. never have been, i don't think it's about to change, even when i move in a month. but this - this blogging thing you and i do - i feel like i know you better :) so know this is me trying to stay in touch with you... it's just the computer way. laurs i love you!

Alyssa said...

I think it is amazing the friendships I have formsed with people I have never even met thatnks to blogging. I think it is just neet-o!