Monday, June 19, 2006

The Moving Date Draws Near

Be patient with me . . I'm working on my template. Well actually, Stacey is. She created a masthead that I really like, so stay tuned.

Laura's First _____
Yesterday was quite exciting for me as I got to pick out my first ever brand new piece of furniture (not counting the armoire I got for Christmas). Actually, I bought two pieces: a dresser/chest of drawers and a bedside table. I did always say I didn't want to match furniture pieces, because I want my rooms to have character . . but I take that back, because I couldn't not get the matching bedside table, could I?! It didn't take me long to find it. Rochester, in keeping with his promise before I moved out here, looked up furniture stores and came along for company. As we were walking into the first place, I glanced in the window and noticed a chair . . for $10,000! Needless to say, we didn't make it through the front door. But, the second place is where I found my pieces. They were actually the only thing I liked in the entire place, but I think they're beautiful. The salesman made me feel like I was getting a good deal on them and I didn't care to haggle with him, so I went ahead and took them.

After speaking with my soon-to-be roommate, I decided to just buy a used twin bed instead of purchasing a new one. I've seen the bed. I don't like it. I like IKEA, but I don't like the bed. I would probably buy a lot of stuff from IKEA, but not my bed. I also don't want to spend nearly $400 for a new twin bed, which I've decided I need in order to maximize the spaciousness of the room.

Awkwaaard
Ok, totally awkward moment. CousinJ went into my closet for something of his (which, by the way, isn't the tidiest place . . there's a shirt on the floor, my shoes aren't in their boxes, my clothes are in haphazard piles on the shelves, but it's mine while I'm here and didn't expect someone to go in) and told me it needs to be immaculate when my other cousins come for a visit in a week . . It must look as though I'm not here. I understand and would've done it anyway, of course, but am just slightly embarrassed that he had to tell me . . and that he saw my stuff a mess. Yikes! Also, he told me he'd like me to help offer to help K with groceries, which is something I always intended to do, of course . . but if you'll remember K insisted that I not help. Is it awful of me for never coming back and insisting upon helping? I'm glad J got it off his chest. I just wanted to be the perfect houseguest. I keep the bathroom super clean and even keep my room nice, making my bed, keeping the dresser cleared off. I help with dishes every night and always offer to help K cook or watch the baby. I'm just disappointed that I've missed something. *sigh* It's good that I'll be moving out soon . . in two weeks only. It's time. And now I feel so bothered by this that I'm going to bed. But first, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for a farewell thank-you gift when I do move out?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a gesture, not a gift, would be nice. something that would help to address what just happened. maybe you could vacuum the whole house, dust everything, just do a nice cleaning of the whole house.

s said...

i would probably purchase something as well. maybe something they need in the house, but don't have. even better something they'd want, but would never purchase themselves. i'd also write a nice note and something along the lines of still being able to babysit. nice bowls for decoration are always nice like waterford glass or something. i have no idea how expensive that stuff is.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome you found your furniture on the second try!!

Bravo for you for being so wonderful living with them. That's nice that you're trying to think of what to do for them. A gift certificate to a restaurant with babysitting included would be really wonderful - at least for us :) !!

s said...

love the new layout!

Big Sky Girl said...

nice decor. much less brain searing than the orange.

k said...

LOVE the new look!

Anonymous said...

We're honored that you're celebrating yourself under the 'LovethisLife' moniker!

Sincerely,
Your Friends at LovethisLife