Thursday, March 09, 2006

It's a Small Group After All

Today went well . . . and I've decided that even if work goes slowly some days, I'm OK with that, because I want this whole experience to go by as slowly as possible. Who cares if an 8-hour day feels like a 10-hour day when you can go look at the ocean after work or walk outside without a jacket on.

After work tonight, we went to Happy Hour at En Fuego and the food was so yummy. I had chicken nachos and a carne asada taco. I loved the atmosphere with the downstairs patio open to the cool air.

On the drive to Jake's and En Fuego the last two days, I've loved driving this road that turns a corner and BOOM-there's the ocean. You're up on a hill and it's a mile away . . huge and sparkling and beautiful. I feel like I need to share that experience with someone. It takes my breath away. God is so amazing.

I left early to head to Ocean Beach for small group. It was my first time on the 5 in the dark. It was pretty intense, but I remained calm and found the girl's house pretty easily. There were quite a few people not in attendance tonight (according to the leader) so it was pretty small - 5 of us. It was nice to be with people who loved the Lord . . . but . . . the hostess kinda drove me nuts. She was sooo overly dramatic and went on and on and on about . . herself. The leader was cool, though, and we had a nice time. I think I'll go at least once more before I make a decision as to whether or not it's for me.

At small group, everyone told me that I was going to get lost in SD. . it was inevitable. I said they were wrong and surely I could avoid that happening as long as I was alert and prepared (knew where I was going). Well . . . I got lost driving home. The leader let me follow him to a shortcut to get on the 5 and I was good for miles and miles . . . and then I somehow got off the freeway one exit too soon . . I have no clue how. It was one of those situations where the exit leads you faaaar away from the freeway. I could not get back on. Somehow, and I still don't know how, I followed signs and instead of getting back on the freeway like I was trying to do, I ended up finding a street I was familiar with and found my way home. But the whole time I was thinking, "Ooook, there is no store for me to stop and ask directions . . nothing . . . and it's dark . . and late . . and I have no clue where I'm at." It took me a long time to get home, but I made it . . and I'm not as afraid of getting lost now.

I got in touch with Pink's cousin today! She had called yesterday and I was so excited to hear from her. She sounds so sweet and I can't wait to meet her on Saturday. She used to attend the church I visited, but now goes to a different church in PB, and I may visit on Sunday.

I can't believe I've only been here 5 days!! It feels like so much longer!

2 comments:

k said...

When I drove along the Oregon coast this winter I had a few of those moments like you describe, you turn a bend and wham! the most beautiful view ever! It is awesome.

I’ve found that the best way to learn your way around someplace new is to get lost! That is how I got by when I first moved here and even now I still find myself “lost” every once in a while but it doesn’t take me too long to figure out where I am now.

Anonymous said...

It DOES seem longer. California can do that to you. I'm so excited to relive it again through your eyes. San Diego is really similar to Santa Cruz in the sunshiney beachy sort of way.

So excited you're going to get together with my cousin! I'm going to be living vicariously through you with hanging out with her too if you guys end up hitting it off! She's such a sweetheart and loves my boys soooo much. I miss her.