Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Setting myself up for disappointment

I’m going with the black tie part of “black tie optional”. But I’m afraid I’ll be out of place. To be more specific, I’m afraid I’ll be the only one with jersey knit sticking to every curve of my body! I have packed on a little more insulation since the last time I wore the dress. It would be one thing if I simply had to wear the dress to the dinner. But I have to put it on at work during business hours and catch a cab on the street corner. Like my colleague says, “You just have to put on your game face and be ‘Work L____’.

I have a few hopes and dreams for tonight. I’ll be seated at a table with P. D!ddy’s right hand man and I have oh so much I want to talk to him about (not even P. D!ddy and the fact that their offices are adjacent). On top of that, an actor from an 80s show Dad and I used to watch together – he’ll be there. Seeing him would be nice. Even nicer would be shaking his hand, telling him how much I loved M@rty Castillo and thanking him for his work with inner-city kids (I hear he likes to be known more for being an activist than an actor).

So basically I’ve set tonight up to be just an ordinary dinner where nothing extraordinary happens simply because I hope it will.

5 comments:

Pink Sun Drops said...

Sounds like an amazing dinner! Have fun!

a tall sassy gal said...

Can't wait to hear!

s said...

sounds so fun! i always am on the dressier side and i think it's better to be a tad overdressed than underdressed. you could totally work the black clingy dress! pictures please

my life is brilliant said...

Must hear more! I'm excited to find out how it went! And, um, pictures?!

Lindsay Blake said...

ok i pray you rap for the right hand man guy. i mean serious laura, if you bust out with some rap, you may have a chance to meet the real guy. oh gosh, how i wish i could be a fly on the wall watching you interact tonight. can't wait to hear all about it! enjoy laurs!