Sunday, April 29, 2007

the living room can now be described as cozy

For the past ten months, I have loved my apartment but hated the lack of color, ugly furniture (none of which is mine), and dorm-room feel. I couldn't do anything about the couches. I didn't want to invest in decorating a temporary place. And I didn't think we could paint the walls.

This week, I found out different. We are allowed to paint as long as the color is light and doesn't require more than two coats of paint.

So yesterday, my bedroommate EB and I decided to paint the living room. And within six hours of that decision, the living room was painted with two coats of a beautiful taupe/beige color. Covering those ugly white walls that were smudged and scuffed and boring was an exhilarating experience. EB and I kept pausing in the middle of our work just to bask in the beauty of it. We left the base boards and door and window frames white, which is the perfect accent. Ever since finishing, we've been spending every moment in that room, breathing in the fresh paint smell and deciding what to hang on the walls.














The living room can now be described as cozy. And all because of a little paint.















(I know, I know - your toaster is bigger than my television.)















(Forgive the messy entryway! See the box? We finally got a vacuum cleaner!)

I'll take "entire-room" pictures when we actually hang things up.

5 comments:

Liz said...

It looks great! My husband was supposed to paint our living room while I was in NY, but he never got around to it. Seeing yours, I'm making him do it this weekend! He doesn't want me to help or be around the paint, but I think if I take frequent breaks, the baby will be okay! You've motivated me!

Courtney said...

pretty! I love the white trim.

a tall sassy gal said...

Your right color does so much for a room!

my life is brilliant said...

It looks so homey! Can't wait to see the final pics!

Anonymous said...

i love it! i really want to paint our house. our walls are that taupe color, but they're all the same! it's a little monotonous.