Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Le Crocodile & Other Guilty Pleasures

I was in one of my favorite boutiques the other day (which I have yet to actually buy anything from) when I spotted a book called, "1,001 Guilty Pleasures: The Things We Hate to Love". I flipped it open and it landed right on one of my favorite things . . . Lacoste shirts. They're stuffy and preppy, but I love 'em. . . and I've been known to pay too much for them. And it's not just because I love the alligator . . (which I just found out is actually a crocodile, named after golf pro, Rene Lacoste, "Le Crocodile") . . it's because it reminds me of my grandpa. I was so young when he passed away, but I remember the 80s and how he would go golfing in his plaid pants, cardigan sweaters, and Lacoste (Izod) polos. I realize that, back then, that was not exactly an unusual thing to wear, but it still just reminds me of Grandpa. I remember the first time I bought my own . . . 6 years ago, at Weekenders on Pearl Street in Boulder. It was a navy blue t-shirt at half price, which was still a lot for a t-shirt, but I didn't care. I was little upset when my mom washed it improperly and the color faded really bad, but I suppose it gives it character and perhaps gives it a really cool vintage look. I remember saying, "Mom, this is made in France - you can't wash it like a regular shirt." My next purchase was in Scottsdale where I made what was then my biggest splurge to date and bought a white velour cap-sleeve jacket with cute blocks of color on the shoulders. Only my best friend and her brother know, and will ever know, how much it set me back. Since then, I've only bought one more, a camo green polo, with my excellent Von Maur discount. The thing is, it's not like these shirts are that cool. They might be cool if they were actually vintage 80s, but they're not. I mean it's not like I'm turning heads and everyone is coveting my designer threads. But, alas, my sentimental self just loves them. And, this is why Lacoste shirts are one of my guilty pleasures . . one of the many things I hate to love.
Other guilty pleasures include: Michael Bolton, Rod Stewart, Ashlee Simpson (dare I even admit this), Macaroni & Cheese w/ peas (always), large amounts of cookie dough, country music videos, and the Bachelor. And you??? . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.