Thursday, July 12, 2007

Here and There

Going home is like opening a huge present, one that you asked for vaguely in that you know what to expect but have no idea what exactly it will look like. When I go home, I know who I will see, and I often know what I will do, but I don’t know the specific moments I will experience or the special memories I will make. I take an embarrassing amount of photographs, yet I’m not embarrassed, and I spend weeks looking at them remembering and often re-feeling the way I felt when they were taken.

When I'm there, I miss it. But when I'm here, I don't. Not really. Because I know this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm supposed to be working at this wonderful company, constantly meeting new people, living a random and spontaneous life never knowing what the weekend might hold. I'm supposed to be sharing a bedroom, sleeping in a twin bed, staring out my window at the Potomac, eating Lean Cuisines for dinner, and getting bagels at the Brooklyn Bakery on Saturday.


It makes me sad to know that people's lives go on without me there to watch. Children grow, my sister goes to school, friends go out for dinner, Grandma watches old movies . . without me. I hate missing out. That should be my motto. Don't do anything fun or memorable without me! But it doesn't take much to qualify for that category. Because grilling out on my friends' deck, that counts. Watching Frasier reruns on the couch counts. Sitting in a driveway at midnight chatting counts. Going to Wal-Mart for toiletries almost counts. It's being with the people I love.


I like the people here. But will like ever turn to love? Or will everyone move away as soon as love knocks on the door? New Girl is gone and sucks at responding to email even though she promised she wouldn't be. Bedroommate EB moves out in two weeks, and someone else's bed moves in. And we'll be right back at 'like' again.


Pastor says to put your roots down in this transient city. Live like you're never leaving. Love like you're never leaving.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I think you are making you way in this world quite nicely, and you are right - you are exactly where you should be RIGHT NOW.

Make friends, make connections, listen to your pastor. Everything will be good.

Hugs!

(And cute pic in the post above!)

a tall sassy gal said...

Sometimes I think you have to go awhile for awhile but you never know if God has you going back home or at least closer to home.

That is what I have told myself.

my life is brilliant said...

I think your pastor -- and Courtney -- have some great advice.

It's tough seeing how much you've missed when you go back home, but isn't it nice to miss it rather than to feel like you stayed too long? I'm sure, too, that those who are still there wish they had an exciting life in D.C. with such treasures as an apartment view of the Potamac and Brooklyn Bakery bagels on Saturday.