Thursday, October 05, 2006

Milwaukee, Part I

I forgot how great it is to be alone. I share a room, and I couldn't ask for a better roommate, but there is never complete privacy. When she goes to bed, you're going to bed . . or you're movin' it to the living room. Having my own hotel room, I can put my stuff wherever I want, watch whatever I want, be as loud as I want, set the temp to what I want. If I wanted to, I could dance and sing around the 65 degree room, with the music on, and the television on, while flinging the contents of my suitcase in any direction I choose. And I could do all of this without any clothes on. Not that I want to! But if I wanted to, I could. It's all about freedom really.

Previously, I mentioned the possibility of "Grey's Anatomy" deprivation this week. But, thanks to a last-minute installation by IT, I now have a DVD player on my work laptop, so you know I watched two episodes of "Grey's" on the plane. And not just any plane . . I flew Midwest! . . which means no layovers, large seats, and warm chocolate chip cookies!

My first day and a half has gone smoothly, despite the fact that I dropped my chocolate-covered fork on my new silk shirt, have had problems accessing the internet from my hotel room (although I'm paying for it), and accidentally admitted to a client that I use a competitor's service - doh!

The food is good, and I've successfully located the fitness room . . the latter being crucial, since the former is true. My new strategy is to only finish half my plate when eating regular-to-large sized meals. But I forgot last night. The dessert happened to be particularly good, as well, and it took every fiber of self-control in my slighly overweight (by my standards) body to put.down.the.fork.

I've been able to see a little more than the hotel so far, since we were shuttled over to a donor's large home last night for drinks and appetizers. I saw the art museum (which has 'wings'), Lake Michigan (which the home overlooked), and more of downtown Milwaukee. I would post pictures, but . . . I forgot my camera! Don't ask how, but I did. I'm still alive, but very disappointed.

My co-worker and I decided to be social last night, and went to a nearby bar. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of introducing my new coat to the disgusting smell of smoke, but I went anyway. The entertainer at the Irish pub was so hilarious that the entire bar was laughing, singing along, and dancing as he played his guitar and sang songs (some of which crossed the line into the realm of inappropriate). However, the 80s and 90s sing-a-longs were a b-last!

I'm off to a 2-hour lunch break, which may or may not include a little shopping. Maybe this business trip thing isn't so bad.

5 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

I understand everything you are saying about hotel rooms and eating out. I am back in Texas for the next 6 weeks filling in at my old job and I am missing that life already. Even though I have put myself on a super fast sorta of diet from all the eating out.

Courtney said...

Not bad?? Sounds fantastic!!

I totally feel you on the privacy thing. I shared a room with my sis gowing up and then I shared a one room studio all four years of college... when my roommate went to bed I went to bed. When she got up, I got up. Becuase, hello! it's a studio... we didn't even really have a seperate living room that one of us could chill in while the other slept. GAH! Now I have my own room and I'm NEVER GOING BACK!!! :)

Re: eating - try ordering a to-go box AT THE BEGINNING of your meal. Take half your food and put it in the box. Then put the box aside. Now you're free to clean your plate!!! Pretty darn satisfying with only 1/2 the calories!!

k said...

I have such a hard time not finishing all the food on my plate. I blame it on my mother who made me clear my plate when growing up! Last night I even inwardly complained because my burger wasn't big enough. I like Courtney's idea though!

s said...

i love staying in hotel rooms. i think i love the maid service the most.i have a problem ever finishing anything on my plate, but not to worry i eat close to 50 times a day. i always get the to go box and finish it in spurts through the night. i know i'm weird haha. hope you get some shopping in!

Cady said...

it's hard for me to not finish all my food. hehe. i love to eat. i agree with the others...courtney's suggestion is good.