Friday, October 13, 2006

H20

Considering the amount of money I’m willing to spend on an article of clothing, you’d be surprised to know that I have a hard time putting down a mere $1.50 for a bottled water or spending more than $5 on lunch every day. However, my reluctance to spend the money has led me to forget to drink any water at all . . to the point of not needing to use the facilities at work all day. It’s a wonder I don’t get dehydrated!

Big Sky Girl got on my case about it the other day, and I realized she’s right . . . am I trying to prematurely age myself? It’s no wonder I’ve gained weight, since water helps you digest.your.food!! And my skin? I haven’t broken out or anything, but it certainly hasn’t been glowing for quite some time.

So I decided to make it another new habit of mine, right up there with a consistent workout schedule and limited caloric intake. So far, I’ve gone three days with at least 2 liters of water, which equals 4 bottled waters. One in the morning, one for lunch, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. Not too tough.

It may be all in my head, but I think I’m noticing a difference already. For one thing, I head to the ladies’ room about 4 times a work day, as opposed to 0-1 – information I’m sure you could’ve done without. (This reminds me of you, LindsayBlake, and I think you know why. ;)

6 comments:

Cady said...

i need to drink more water too. i have your same problem though...when i drink water i may as well move my desk into the bathroom. heh.

Courtney said...

yes yes yes!! I'm up to 3 liters a day and it makes all the difference!

I actually went to the doctor becuase I was SUPER tired and feeling really dehydrated all the time. She tested me for diabetes, thyroid trouble, and a whole slew of other things. Every test came up negative (thank goodness.) So she said to me, "Well, you might try drinking more water and getting some more sleep." Genius!!

Stacey said...

Good for you! Water is so important, but sometimes I have a hard time making myself drink it. Other times I feel like I need 2 gallons a day! But I'm glad you posted about this subject ... lately I've been living on Diet Coke and coffee. I'm beginning to feel the need for a tall glass of water. :)

Lindsay Blake said...

oh do i remember... on this subject if we were to tally i would win as well... i go to the restroom so much in the middle of the night. but i think you knew this. we've talked on this subject as well :)

k said...

i have been really good about drinking water since i got back from europe and i too have the problem with having to go to the bathroom so much! problem is that there are only 4 stalls in 3 bathrooms in my building at school. it was built when they never expected women to ever study engineering i guess?!?!

Big Sky Girl said...

What? My verbal threat to stop talking to you if you didn't start taking care of yourself actually worked? Well, yeah for that;-)

The nice little chinese woman in the basement will be happy to feed your need for water.

Also, don't exceed 2 1/2 liters per day unless you are doing more than a half hour of cardio. It can lead to problems you don't want like weaker muscle tone and slower clotting.