Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Church Search

I ended the trip to Milwaukee with a short 5K run over the Milwaukee river downtown and alongside Lake Michigan as the sun came up Saturday morning. It was great.

I flew back to D.C. with a big box of Wisconsin cheeses (a gift) and a cheese cookbook for New Girl who is a vegetarian and from Milwaukee herself. She loved it.

There were many highlights of the trip, but one in particular was a special surprise. Just before heading to the airport, I had breakfast with the lady I've been shadowing for months. I suspected she knew the Lord, but hadn't ever discussed it with her. I was delighted to learn that she knows Him very well and went through Youth With a Mission (YWAM) several years ago, which is an awesome missions organization and planned to attend Brownsville School of Ministry (a school that my friend attended). Realizing that we each had a relationship with Jesus, we totally bonded and finished the conversation with a big hug. Once again, I was amazed at how the Lord has blessed me through this transition in my life. I couldn't ask for more. (Well . . maybe to have my home church move here - ha, but I know I'll find the right church.)

So far, I've visited four churches and all of them are really great. No matter where you visit, there will usually always be something you don't prefer or some way you wish it was like your home church I suppose. I always listen to messages online from my home church. I've been here for 5 months, though, and I haven't decided on consistently attending just one. Often, I'll visit two a day. I'll like worship a lot at one church, the potential to make friends easily at another, the size of another, the location of yet another. One great thing is that every church I've visited really has solid Biblical teaching, so even though I've been skipping around, I've been hearing some great messages!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want my opinion, I'd say find a church you can find a good small group to worship with! That has brought me SO much closer to the Lord... having people to pray with/over me, study with, hold me accountable, etc. Good luck sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

You will find that perfect-fit church! I did a DTS with YWAM!!!