Friday, October 19, 2007

Pudding from the Bottoms

Four years ago, on a trip to the Deep South (Dothan, Alabama), I had several new experiences, one of which I was sure I would never have again. My friend, 'Alabama', took me to "the Bottoms", a not-so-nice neighborhood across town, for some delicious soul food. Everything I ate was fantastic (turnip greens, grits, fried chicken), but one thing stuck out the most. Banana pudding. Her dad insisted I try it. I honestly expected to find a Snack Pack poured into a bowl, but what I got was something very different. One of the best desserts I've ever tasted! Since that day, I have tried banana pudding several times at various restaurants, but nothing has ever come close to what I had in the Bottoms. Alabama just moved here a couple weeks ago, and when I went over for dinner last night, I was surprised to find that very same recipe for banana pudding was what she served for dessert! Warm banana pudding with wafers and whipped cream. It was just as delicious as I remember it being four years ago. Thanks Alabama! I was so blessed!

3 comments:

my life is brilliant said...

What a cute picture! Gotta love real banana pudding!

s said...

looks delicious, also love that you are sporting a montauk t-shirt, yay, long island :)

steve and randel hambrick said...

AMAZING. i ADORE and LOVE banana pudding with all my heart... real southern banana pudding, that is. can you say jealous??