Thursday, October 18, 2007

Baby Steps

I can't handle the boringness of my apartment. When I moved out here in May of last year, it didn't make sense to bring furniture. I would be living with my cousin for six weeks, and after that, who knew where I would move and how much room there would be. Besides, I didn't love the stuff I had anyway so buying new things would be fun.

When I moved into the apartment, I was thankful I didn't have much. The place was fully furnished albeit with ugly mismatched stuff. All I needed was a bed, a dresser, and a bedside table.

With girls moving in and out over the past year and a half, ugly things have gone and slightly better furniture has come. But it's still sparse. And it's so sparse that I am embarrassed to invite anyone over to see it. Who wants to hang out in a boring space? I've been telling myself to hang in there. This is just a season and soon enough I will have a place to decorate. It just doesn't make sense to invest in a temporary place.

But lately I've gotten quite fed up. I don't want to wait any longer! And although I don't have the funds necessary to really do what I'd like, I can still do small things here and there.

So I went to IKEA for the first time on Sunday. It's not Ethan Allen by any means, but there are some cute things. Here's one thing I came home with:















I realize it looks silly here, but I rotated the picture so you could see how it will look in my entry way. I put it together last night, and it looks nice. It's IKEA, but it's nice. The wood is heavy and solid. The shelves certainly won't dip if place something heavy on them. I like.

I also purchased two rugs. One for the entryway and one for the living room. I'm not ecstatic about them, but they are loads better than what we had.
















Baby steps to a cuter apartment. Baby steps to a cuter apartment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you need to spend a few bucks to make a place home...you should look into the DIY things on martha stewart...or TLC/HGTV. There is plenty of things you can do for super cheap, but its gotta be home and you should not be embarressed to bringing people over!!

s said...

i feel like a little sprucing goes a long way. i'm excited that things are going well with the texan. i like your philosophy of taking it slow. i try to do the same thing all the time.


i need some fashion advice, check my blog if you have time.

Pink Sun Drops said...

Oh my gosh how fun! I love decorating and making things pretty! I'm making a trip to our brand new Ikea for the first time and I am so crossing my fingers I find and actually buy some cute (inexpensive) items that make a big difference in my house! You did GOOD!

my life is brilliant said...

We got an IKEA here in Dallas almost two years ago. That place has some great stuff. And since it's so inexpensive, you don't have to feel bad about changing it up!

SO GLAD things with the Texan are going well!