Sunday, May 23, 2010

Summer Began This Weekend

It rained this weekend. A lot. But that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

On Friday night, the weather was still perfect - no humidity and a gentle breeze with 80 degree temps. It was the right night for another Nats baseball game with a big group of church friends. Boo to the Nats losing by two runs, though!

On Saturday morning, I helped out at the food pantry again. It's a fun place to serve, but I will admit to sneaking just a little more food that I'm supposed to into some of the bags. I read the names of the people and the number of children, as well as their ages, and sometimes I think they need an extra fruit roll-up or a box of cookies in addition to crackers. It's funny when I go out to meet the names on the paper, and they look through the bag, taking out the very thing I thought they might like. :) Most of them are very grateful, and it is touching to hear their prayer requests, many of them for their family members' education and future, as well as jobs for themselves. As a food lover, it makes me even more thankful for the fresh food I'm able to enjoy, in addition to the other ways the Lord has more than provided in my life.

Just as the rain began on Saturday, we headed off to our first tailgate and country concert of the summer! By the time we arrived in the lot, it was coming down hard, so a few of us hid out in the back of the Jeep with all the food!

DSC_0986

We had a brief intermission from the rain, so the boys fired up the grill, a very important part of the tailgate.
DSC_0993

And I wasn't the only one who brought cupcakes, so I had to compare.

DSC_1002

It was soon time to don our raincoats and brave the weather for some amazing entertainment by Justin Moore, Darius Rucker and Brad Paisley! It was one of the best concerts I've been to! We got soaked, but thank goodness it let up for most of the show.
DSC_1005

I am stoked for the rest of the summer's concerts!

The very next morning, I needed a serious cup of coffee! Too bad this one belongs to my friend (who took the picture), since I've never even drank the stuff.

DSC_1033

I was exhausted, and I was hungry, but our baby shower brunch at Founding Farmers totally satisfied! I ordered the bananas foster french toast.

DSC_1017

And a side of grits.

DSC_1014

After the meal, we carpooled down to Old Town Alexandria for a little afternoon shopping.

DSC_1039


DSC_1043


DSC_1046

It was a wonderful weekend!

No comments: