Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beaches

It was only two weeks ago that I was on Virginia Beach with two friends and my former church youth group leader (who also happens to be my friends' former 6th grade teacher).

We stayed the night together and woke up bright and early at 5:30am to leave for the beach . . only to discover my car had been towed. (Apparently you need a permit to park in visitor parking.) A couple phone calls and a hundred dollars later, I had my car back and we were on our way. Fortunately the bad start to the day wasn't any indication of what the rest of the trip would be like.

Although it took us over five hours to drive a distance that should've taken three, it was well worth it. The weather was perfect and the company was too. We had a lot of laughs and thanks to one of the girls, we stayed the night in a nice hotel.

It was great to get away, even for a short time. And although I hadn't spent a significant amount of time with my youth leader in years, it was easy to pick up right where we left off. I hope we made her trip out to the East Coast fun and memorable. I know it was for me.

And here I am, only two weeks later, heading to the beach again. This time, the Jersey Shore again. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. While I love my friends and know we'll have fun, I know it will take double the time to drive there tomorrow and on the way back.

This weekend, the Huskers kick off the season at home against Nevada. I know I'll want to watch the game, but it will really take away from my hours in the sun. And I'm sure I'll be watching it alone. On top of that, the boys called and said they're taking the boat out on L@ke Anna this weekend. I honestly would rather ski than lay on the beach. But I decided to go to the Shore and there's no turning back. I don't know why I'm not excited, but I hope it's not a foreshadowing of what's to come.

2 comments:

s said...

I was going to go to the shore this weekend too! I'm still having some doubts, but happy beaching and I hope the traffic isn't too bad for you!!

Stacey said...

You were at Virginia Beach the same weekend my mother was there. I just saw pictures - looks wonderful!