Monday, January 29, 2007

West Coast slang?

“You ate your biscuit because he was getting stale,” Em said. Em is a new co-worker and friend from Southern California. And I reference her home state, because it seems to be the birthplace of her random West Coast vocabulary.

She’s taught me several slang words already, including the use of the word “biscuit” in reference to any guy you’re involved with. If you’re admiring him from afar, you’re “checking out the ingredients”. If he’s a great boyfriend, he’s “golden brown”. If he’s done something to upset you, he’s a “wet biscuit” and “Nobody wants a wet biscuit”. And let’s be honest, sometimes the “batter tastes better than the biscuit”. (And I promise, no sexual innuendos here - yikes.:)

So as you all know, this biscuit I've gone out with just didn’t have the right ingredients. I need to wait for a fresh biscuit with the finest ingredients. I need a biscuit that is golden brown.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is interesting slang. Never heard that before.

Liz said...

So Cal isn't that far from San Francisco and I've certainly never heard that before!

Courtney said...

hmmmm - I think your friend is pulling your leg - I have NEVER heard any reference to biscuits that didn't involve breakfast.

But still - I like it! :)

Stacey said...

Ahahahaaahhaaaaa! I love it!

my life is brilliant said...

Wow. Southern California seems to have a mad fascination with biscuits. But I do have to wonder about Courtney's comment. It'd be funny if she was doing some kind of trick experiment. Nice!

Pink Sun Drops said...

I'm with Courtney - NEVER heard of it. But it's hilarious!