Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Treasure Hunt

Big Sky Girl and I decided to venture outside our normal routine of meeting up for dinner. We wanted some adventure. We discussed rowing, rock climbing, golf, etc. But BSG came up with an even more unique activity . . a treasure hunt.

Your team can be as big as you like, so all week we attempted to recruit more team members . . for the fun of it . . and to hopefully increase our chances of winning by adding more brain power. For some reason, people didn't jump at the offer. I mean, when is the last time someone asked you if you wanted to go on a treasure hunt? It sounds a little weird.

Fortunately, BSG convinced her friend, Tim, to join our team and we showed up at Lafayette Park in tennis shoes and tank tops ready to go. We were given a treasure map, several challenging clues, a black light, and a cipher wheel for cracking codes. And the race began.

After over two hours of speed walking, and sometimes jogging around the District in search of answers to our clues, we had aching legs, huge blisters, and were drenched in sweat. BSG's patience was beginning to wear off, as some of the clues were leaving us completely stumped. As we went from museum to garden to memorial, reading and re-reading the riddles that would lead us to our next clue, I realized how dense I am when it comes to history and how much of D.C. I haven't seen. Fortunately, between the brains of BSG and Tim and my attempts to look things up on my Blackberry, we were doing a pretty good job . . or so we thought.













(Stopping for two seconds as we wait to cross the street.)

Although we were the first team to finish, we were shocked to receive the Shell of Shame for coming in last place! We hadn't picked up any keys or golden coins hidden along the way and had called in for answers too many times to still be competing for first place. *Sigh*

I don't know how many miles we ended up walking, but it was certainly more than enough to make up for our second trip to Gifford's that week. Sitting there, eating the most delicious ice cream in Washington, I started to forget the hell that our day had been . . and there was talk of actually doing it again. . . . I think I'll at least let my blisters heal first.















*Read Big Sky Girl's account of the day. She'll be blogging about it soon.

6 comments:

Big Sky Girl said...

Short fuse? I don't know what you're talking about. And if I was a bit impatient, it was all the heat! The heat! The blood curdling heat!

L said...

You're right! It was that suffocating heat! I'll have to include a disclaimer.

Anonymous said...

Aw how fun! I love trying new ideas though despite the pain. Next time you'll know what to expect and be a little smarter about it. Heck I'll be on your team! :)

Lindsay Blake said...

i don't get it... do they have something in the city that puts together the scavenger hunt? who made up the questions? that sounds really fun!

Cady said...

that sounds like so much fun! i love scavenger hunts! i did a mall scavenger hunt one year for my birthday. :)

Unknown said...

That sounds like FUN!! But the ice cream looks better than anything :)