Thursday, August 10, 2006

The New Hampshire Way

I was just telling Big Sky Girl last night, when we met up for dinner in Georgetown, that I feel so bad for not blogging these past, OMG, 6 days! But I don’t want to blog out of obligation. BSG said, “You should live to blog, not blog to live” which is a good point, unless of course you’re surviving off the paid ads on your site.

Out of the past 6 days, 3 have been fabulous, and the other 3 have been tough because they weren’t fabulous . . and I was PMSing.

I flew to New Hampshire on Friday and had a fantastic 48 hours there, sleeping only 11 of those hours. As I said before, Best Friend’s boy’s family is great! It felt like home . . . not my home, but home.

Friday night, we went to a Christian music festival in the mountains and saw Recycled Percussion. They were incredible! Amazing entertainers. The lead drummer has gotta be the fastest drummer in the world. And now, I secretly want to learn how to beat box.













We went to the Skillet concert, too, as opposed to Mercy Me and Jars of Clay, since I’ve seen them before. I’ve never really listened to Christian rock before, but they were pretty good performers. Did a little headbanging-ha; I didn’t think people did that anymore.

Saturday morning, we headed over to Tom & Lisa’s for a huge, yummy breakfast on their deck. I’m pretty sure I consumed my weight in food. I simply couldn’t decide between the French toast and the egg & cheese English muffins, so I had to have both . . plus potatoes and bacon and strawberries and a blueberry muffin.

We headed down to the family’s beach house just over the NH border in Massachusetts. It was the cutest house with a pretty view of the ocean.













The water was freezing, of course, but we were determined to get in.













BF & I managed to slightly embarrass ourselves by attempting to kick around the soccer ball on the beach with the three brothers, but we totally redeemed ourselves when we got a football in our hands.













BF and her boy went for a stroll on the beach, so his younger bro and I took a bike ride up to Hampton Beach to walk around on the ‘boardwalk’, eat Sal's pizza, and play a few arcade games. I totally won the football game!














That night, we all went down to Boston for dinner and dessert. It was dark out by that time, but seeing just a little bit of the city makes me want to go back! The craziest thing was seeing TONS of rotten fruits and vegetables from the Haymarket just thrown in the street for at least two blocks. City workers use a bulldozer to clean up leftover produce and other debris once Haymarket closes. Apparently, New Girl says that this has been going on since the city began. Take a look at this Boston Globe slideshow.

Sunday morning, we were up bright and early headed up to the mountains to go kayaking. I honestly didn’t think I’d ever get used to the water temperature, but I ended up jumping off the bridge a couple of times and later getting flipped over by Tom & Best Friend. Don’t worry; I retaliated. . which resulted in BF’s kayak going down the rapids without her and us trying to both go down on one! At this point, I was really wishing I’d bought the water camera.













We took a gondola to the top of Loon Mountain for the hot dog festival and a couple of us crawled around in the caves. . something that was clearly intended for small children since the spaces were so tiny.




















Back at the house, BF & I said our good-byes, which was incredibly sad, because I have no idea when I’ll see her next. Maybe Christmas time, but that’s a long time! I’ve been so spoiled hanging out with her the past two weekends.

I’ve loved living in D.C. so far, but I really didn’t want to come back. As I flew home, I wondered when I would feel that way again . . at home. My roommates could tell I was a little down, though, and they said we will definitely hang out and they’re always there to talk, etc. I am so blessed to live with such great girls!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow how much fun does that look like! I know you're having a hard time adjusting but you really look like you're glowing you look so wonderful! Hopefully you'll make some new memories that feel just as comfortable as those do. ((hugs))

Cady said...

wow, sounds like you had a great time! you always have such busy trips. i think those are the best ones. :)

Anonymous said...

how was your night with the roomies?