Friday, August 18, 2006

25

A friend once told me she had a hard time with 25. The once independent, self-sufficient woman found herself still single while everyone around her was marrying and starting their own families. So I was a little nervous about the number myself. And maybe that will be me at 26, but so far 25 feels good. And the majority of my friends are married and starting families, including the friend I mentioned above, but I’m not sad that’s not me. Sure, I wonder if their kids will be too old to play with mine someday or if we’ll ever feel at the same place again. But I am where I am right now .. and I like it. I sometimes hope that my contentment with singleness doesn’t mean it’s going to last too much longer, but it’s out of my hands.

I’m so glad that I didn’t just stay in an OK job and wait for some guy to come along so I could settle down and have babies. I used to want that . . because I didn’t know what the other option was. I didn’t have a clue what job would make me happy. . what job would utilize my abilities and give me a sense that I was contributing to something important. I discovered that is what I really wanted, though . . to do it on my own first. To be a part of something big. Something big can be different for everyone, I suppose, but for me this is it.

Being away from home, I didn’t have high expectations for my birthday, but even if I had, I wouldn’t have been disappointed. I received:
- an early morning voicemail from my friend singing me ‘Happy Birthday’,
- e-cards and phone calls throughout the day,
- a huge, gorgeous bouquet of flowers that even the men in my office have been admiring,
- my favorite breakfast sandwich delivered to me by New Girl
- birthday recognition at my business lunch (which I was not excited about, because Asian food is not my favorite)

Leigh had sent an Evite out to my favorite co-workers (4 of them) to have dinner at a new restaurant I’d been wanting to try on the waterfront, called Agraria. Much to my surprise, not only did they all come, but they brought gifts! Leigh got me a cute cable knit sweater from GAP, New Girl bought the most delicious smelling bath products, Vanderbilt bought me a set of stemware from Pottery Barn, and Rochester . . well, he stealthily picked up the tab, which Holy Crap! was at least $400! I mean, we had to have our Italian still water and 3 bottles of South African Chardonnay. And I had to have the ribeye I’d been craving and those delicous mouth-watering heirloom tomatoes to start. But, whoa, had we known he was going to do that, we would not have ordered all of that. He is so great. He is such a generous person like that. He spends no money on himself, but treats people all the time.

(Side note: I know I haven’t mentioned him in awhile, but platonically things are going along great. I have decided that we shouldn’t spend time alone as that will only lead to attachment which is obviously not healthy since it’s not going anywhere. There: the two-second update.)

Ooh, I also received a beautiful black opal necklace from my parents and Uptown Grandma, while Farmtown Grandma gave me money that I put towards a new red leather purse (FYI: red is “in” this Fall).

Tonight, my roommates/Bible study girls and I are going to dinner. EB, who I share a room with, actually shares my birthday! How crazy is that??

10 comments:

Courtney said...

!! Happy Birthday !! :)

I have to admit that I've been having trouble with people around me getting married and having babies lately... especially when my boyfriend made it very clear to me on the night before my birhtday that we would NOT be getting engaged until we both finish grad school (June 2007 at the EARLIEST!! UGH) I spent my whole birthday secretly sad... but I think I'm starting to get over it now. Just taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best in the end. What else can you do, right?

Anyway - Glad you had such an awesome birthday!!! 25 is a good year! Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

http://ravenchase.com/public_events/index.php

Stacey said...

Awww ... happy late birthday, Laura! It's great that you've got ahold of the right perspective of being single, young and talented!

Twenty-five wasn't too hard for me, but I must admit turning 29 this year was a tad nerve-wracking. The big 3-0 is looming and I have just suffered a truly sad breakup and that, combined with the whole age thing, is kind of disheartening. BUT, like you said, it's not in our hands. That's something we all have to remember, though that's hard sometimes!!

Alyssa said...

happy quarter of a century! I am glad you are not focusing on the marriage thing, you have your whole life ahead of you for that stuff. It sounds like you are really having fun where you are right now, and that is so great! DOn't you love presents! Yeah bdays!

s said...

sounds like you had a fantastic birthday and you have a great attitude! here's to a great 25th year and many more happy years to come!

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!

I'm glad it was so wonderful in a new place!!

Cady said...

happy birthday!! sounds like you had a fantastic one with some great friends.

a tall sassy gal said...

Happy Birthday. B's was yesterday. I am finally back from Reno. I will blogging about my travels soon. I leave for Hawaii on Friday. Yay!

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Real penis enlargement techniques Drunk lesbians whores galleries Imitrex adverse reaction Wadsworth vs stow girls basketball Ford parts dealersohio Lexus es 330 2005 juniors bodybuilding Neurontin suicide attept Lepard auto alarm bodybuilding anecdotes cartoons satire etc Fitness equipment auction

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Centers for medicare medicaid Bellevue web designer property insurance Is there opium in vicodin Difference between nexium and prilosec other topics Sport flite manufacturing Fluoxetine benzodiazepine interaction buy tramadol Alan carr stop smoking uk International cheap calls from ireland to uk