Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sister's Visit













"I like that girl. The one who called me 'homeslice'."

Sister met my favorite co-workers when she came into work with me last Friday. She had flown in the night before, just as the temperatures began to significantly drop and rain started to fall. I had taken her to the underground restaurant, The Tombs in Georgetown, because who wouldn't be famished after flying halfway across the country? She set up shop with her computer and a book in my office (ok, my cube) and was able to see what a Friday morning is like for me.

"Ohmygosh, Brangelina's adopting another kid?!"
"Aren't you supposed to be working?"

She was able to meet New Girl who immediately embraced her and called her Little P____, Em (from San Diego) who referred to her as 'homeslice', and a few other work friends. As soon as lunchtime rolled around, I cut out early to spend the rest of the afternoon with her. I took her to my favorite lunch spot, Best Sandwich Place (EVER), because we'd only eaten a doughnut and a slice of pizza that morning in addition to our breakfast bowl of cereal.

She's not a big museum person, but the rain was coming down pretty hard along with some serious wind (which is anytime the wind blows here), so I suggested we check out the Spy Museum in Chinatown. I'd never been. At the museum, I was reminded that I too could not be classified as a museum person. I'm good for about an hour, hour and a half, and then my brain threatens to begin oozing out my ear because it's FULL and can only take in a certain amount of information in one day. It's unfortunate that my stomach doesn't seem to have the same problem.

After scurrying through about the entire second half of the museum (which is a very cool museum), we hurried home for a change of clothes. Friday evenings at the Kennedy Center, there is always a free performance. And thank goodness the performance is free, because the parking is $15! That night, a school of traditional Irish dance was performing, so we watched ages 5-45 perform many dances in their many costumes. So exhausted from the long day, we picked up some Peruvian rotisserie chicken and began the BBC 6-hour version of "Pride and Prejudice".


After I took her to my favorite bagel place Saturday morning, we shopped for hours in Georgetown, stopping for ice cream at Thomas Sweet, and drove around Old Town Alexandria, too lazy to find a parking spot and walk and shop some more. We needed a good meal in our stomachs, and somehow despite our parents' boring palettes, we both enjoy seafood. Legal Sea Foods served us amazing crab cakes, clam chowder, rainbow trout, scallops, and shrimp and we were almost too stuffed to have the Girl Scout Samoa ice cream I had sitting in my fridge . . almost.

After church on Sunday, we hit up the flea market on Capitol Hill, went tanning, and split the largest ice cream sundae I have ever had with BSG at Gifford's. Gifford's = most amazing ice cream place ever. And BSG's idea to share the massive five-scoop sundae with a puff pastry, milk chocolate sauce, almonds and whipped cream was her most genius idea ever.

It was Sister's last night in D.C., and as stuffed as we were from all that ice cream, we had to head over to Cousin J & K's house for dinner. As you can imagine, we were a bit (or rather extremely) concerned about how we would eat dinner for the rest of the week, let alone in two short hours. But we managed to get down a beef kabob (in my case, two) and mexican rice. To our dismay, they announced "We have ice cream for dessert!" And rather than first saying "Oh no, we just had ice cream, thank you", I instead asked "Is it Haagen-Dazs, your favorite?" He replied that unfortunately no, it wasn't. And Sister offered up the fact that she had never tried it. And so I place all blame on her for the following. J jumped out of his chair, grabbed his keys, and said, "You've never had it? Then I'm going to get some right now." We sat there dumbfounded. MORE ICE CREAM? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No sooner had we processed that thought, J was back from the store with two very large Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars. And the P____ girls finished every last bite.





























The End.

12 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! I cannot believe you had that much icecream. That thing is HUGE! Then had a meal and more ice cream, I feel a Gilmore Girls moment coming on!

Anonymous said...

Very well done. :)

a tall sassy gal said...

Yay for great sister time. Sounds like you had a blast and ate lots of yummy food!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Oh my gosh!! You two sound like you had SO MUCH fun and went to SO many neat places!! *reminding myself to recheck this post if I ever go to DC if you're not still there*

You guys are adorable in that hat picture. You definently look like sisters - your eyes and your lips are exactly the same!

s said...

i want that icecream. i'm glad you had such a good time with your little sister :). cute little miss sunshine tshirts too

Anonymous said...

omg i want that sundae! you guys look so much alike!! i'm glad you had a great visit.

Liz said...

What a great visit. Makes me so want my sister to come visit! Also makes me want to come visit you in DC since you always take everyone to eat great food. I, too, love food!!

Big Sky Girl said...

i love that as far as you are concerned ice cream is my most genius idea ever. too funny.

my life is brilliant said...

That's a LOT of ice cream! Woohoo!

You and your sister definitely look just alike (just a blonde and brunette version!). Too cute! I love the hat picture. :)

Morgan said...

You and your sis are SO CUTE!!

a tall sassy gal said...

Yes she had 10 bridesmaids!

Anonymous said...

THOSE T SHIRTS! WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THEM! LOVE LOVE LOVE!