Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Rest of the Trip

Chesnut Hill was such a charming area of Philadelphia. . with it's cute buildings and cobblestone streets.

















Boathouse Row on the Skuykill River. If you look closely, you can see the boats in between two of the houses.










Italian Market in South Philly.













Pat's, King of Steaks: The home of the cheesesteak. This place has been operated by the same family since 1930 and they've only ever had this one location in South Philly. They're open 24 hours a day/361 days a year. I ordered mine American Without . . American Cheese, without onions. It was very yummy!








We drove to Ocean City, New Jersey just to be able to say we did cross-country the right way . . coast to coast. It seemed like a nice place to bring a family. The boardwalk, though empty this time of year, looked like fun . . and they don't allow alcohol there, either. Villanova said he came here for vacation every summer growing up.




















After New Jersey, Villanova drove me down to Wilmington, Delaware to stay with Delaware. She and I had a lot of fun. However, Wilmington . . not an exciting place at all. It made me want to bring her back to Omaha to show her a good time.
As I mentioned before, we did head down to D.C. to stay with Rochester a couple of days (which is when I also had my interview).

One of the nights we visited, we headed to Georgetown. It's a neat area. We had a blast! I have lots of cute pics from that night . . too bad I can't post them :(









Despite the rain, we did a little sightseeing (from the car). I know they're just buildings and monuments, but it's kinda moving when I see them. Maybe it's all the history they represent.























Back in Delaware, I went shopping with Delaware and a bunch of her friends. Seven of us bought the same shirt, earrings, and bracelet for the 70s loop (which is when a bunch of bars play 70s music and everyone dresses up and pays one cover for all bars and bar hops all night). I didn't drink that night, but it was lot of fun dressing up . . you should've seen the looks we got. Delaware and I had some killer aviator shades, too.
I don't know these guys, but I'd never seen such huge 'fros' in my life . . had to get a pic!
















Delaware and I also made a trip up to Philly to the Franklin Institute to see Body Worlds. It was awesome! They had actual people (who had donated their bodies to science, of course), minus their skin . . so you could see real muscle and blood vessels, and organs . . because they have a way of preserving it all. It was crazy! You were able to really see how everything looks underneath the surface and how it all fits together. It was also interesting to see what damaged organs look like . . for example, a heart that has had a heart attack or someone who's had a stroke or a brain aneurysm. It sure makes you want to take care of yourself.
If you look closely at this picture, you can see on the steps an example of one of the 'exhibits' that showed muscles and tendons.




















And that about sums up my cross-country trip in a few pictures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Philadelphia looks sooo cute. What a gorgeous pic of Ocean City. Seems like Santa Cruz without the alcohol. I told B we could live on the coast without it being a party town. I wish.

I showed him all your pics and said each state each one was and he kept saying wow, wow. He's seen a lot and been around the US a lot, so that was fun to hear.

I got weak in the knees just reading about that body museum. Did it ick you out at all?

Pictures... there's always email :D . I'm glad you have such a wonderful photo journal of your trip. These really are amazing pictures and with your notes tell the story so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Wilmongton Del. is boring, DC is fun, and OC NJ is clean. OC Maryland is a HUGE party town (pretty disgustingly so). nice pics

Cady said...

great pics! what a fun pic. the d.c. pics made me homesick. i'm hoping we'll get up there later this year or next year. hey, joe just said he ate at pat's. he loved it. said it was fabulous.

k said...

I get American without too! I have had Pat's since college, but my best friend just moved back to Philly so I am going to mack a quick trip down this summer and she promised we'd get cheesesteaks!

k said...

i just sent you an email with some must-see suggestions for seattle.