Thursday, April 20, 2006

Awwwwww . . Freak Out!

I GOT THE JOB! I'm going to be a project manager at a public affairs firm in D.C.!

I had this feeling in my gut that I would get it, but I was trying not to get my hopes up. I am so scaredanxioushappynervousexcited about it. I have so much to figure out and think about now. We haven't discussed what day I start, because I haven't officially told them I'm taking it. I'm going to spend a day thinking of more questions I have. I told him I'd call tomorrow. But, of course I'm taking it no matter what! It's such a great opportunity!

Pay-wise it's not awesome starting out. In fact, it's not much more than what I made here, but the difference is . . this is the Midwest and the cost of living isn't high. I know people who supported a family on what I made, but they'd be lucky to support themself in D.C. I'm definitely willing to be poor for this, though. Bring on the mac n cheese. Maybe even the generic mac n cheese, if need be. The good thing is that after 3-6 months (give or take), they move you into a different position on one of their teams. The great thing about being a project manager is that I'll get to work with all the different teams and get to know everyone in the company (which is about 120 people, I believe). I hear it's hard work, too. . really busy and long hours. I need a challenge, though. Plus, working long hours won't affect my non-existent social life. I mean, I won't have friends (for awhile). Rochester is the only friend I have there. I will be living with my cousin, his wife, and their baby boy for a couple of months, which will be nice and help me save money for an apartment. (Let's hope I have easy internet access!!!) It will be good to be able to talk to him about work, too.

I am nervous. I want to do really well. I want to excel. Sometimes I'm hard on myself. I guess my biggest fear is collapsing under the pressure I put on myself. I know that the Lord won't give me anything I can't handle.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! You'll do great - just look how awesome you did in Cali and you had such a much shorter time to prove it than you thought too. I'm hoping you'll still have time to update us!!

k said...

Yay! That is so awesome! DC is such a fun place too! I'm sure you'll kick bootie at your new job! Congrats!

Lindsay Blake said...

don't forget the peas... mac and cheese without peas for you is like peanut butter without jelly for me. i'm excited for you. everyone is moving... long live GROWING UP!

L said...

Linds - Yes, the peas! The peas! No matter what, I'll never make my mac n cheese without peas.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Selfishly, we would have liked to have you in warm, beautiful, glorious, blissful San Diego, but what a great opportunity for you. Way to go girl!

a tall sassy gal said...

Man I am so excited for you. You have me itching to reconsider the job I am at.

Anonymous said...

Mac N Cheese with peas? Are we serious here because I love mac n cheese and I love peas...

Cady said...

yay!! congrats!! i'm so happy for you! i was hoping it would work out. don't worry...you'll do fine. you're right..god won't give you something you can't handle.

a tall sassy gal said...

I love the bold and the beautiful.