Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Attempted Set-up

Those friends I made in line at the Queen’s ceremony? They want to set me up. With a 36-year-old.

And instead of saying, “Yeah, that’s too old for me”, I heard myself say “You know, it’s crazy - I’ve only gone out with guys in their thirties since I moved out here.” It may be true, but did I have to say it?? Did I have to encourage the setting up?

I asked a friend “What are the chances that he loves Jesus? Like one in a million?”

“Jesus in a million.”

She was right. I mean, maybe the odds weren’t that low.

So I got an email from the line-friend yesterday . . with some more info about him . . and a picture. I moved my mouse over the photo icon, stared straight down at my keyboard, and clicked. I couldn’t bring myself to look up.

I finally did, and the first thought that crossed my mind was, “No.”

The second thing was, “I don’t care if he does love the Lord. Still no.”

Maybe I was being too particular.

I pushed my chair away from my desk. Maybe he looked better from a distance.

I leaned over to the right. Maybe he looked better from an angle.

I scooted back to my desk and covered his mouth with my hand. Then moved my hand to cover his eyes. Maybe one of his features was attractive.

I squinted. Still no.

He’s not ugly. He’s just . . no.

And now I have to tell my line-friend that I can’t do it. I’ve changed my mind. I don’t like being set up. He sounds great, but I’m not interested.

I’m also not good at keeping myself out of awkward situations.

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

to funny! And you are way to hot to have a non-hot boyfrind!

Anonymous said...

hehehe...that sounds familiar. :) and i agree, you need a hottie! :)

Morgan said...

You are so hilarious! Maybe you should just go out with him because it would make a good blog entry. ;)

a tall sassy gal said...

I agree with Alyssa!

my life is brilliant said...

At least you looked at the photo from several different perspectives. I've got to give you credit for that!

And hey, you're not holding out for just anybody!

Pink Sun Drops said...

What Brilliant said... and the hotness factor Alyssa and Heather mentioned!