Sunday, February 25, 2007

Back on the slopes

After tearing my ACL (and then some) skiing five years ago, I wasn't sure I'd ever ski again. I wanted to, of course, but I'd since torn it a second time and never fully recovered. When given the opportunity to try again this weekend, I just had to go. Mom reluctantly mailed my ski coat and ski pants, and I promised to wear my brace and do my physical therapy exercises all week pre-trip. I rounded up two friends from home who live close by and off we went to Whitetail, Pennsylvania.
Strapping on the knee brace felt good and secure. To make myself feel even better, I met up with a group of beginner skiers to take a lesson. Most.boring.hour.of.my.life. Before the lesson had ended, I was already on a lift and ready for my first run of the day, breathing deeply and praying the whole way.

I'd love to say that I looked like a pro and handled myself with confidence but nothing could be further from the truth. I was freaking out. I mean, I knew you used your knees to ski, but holy crap, I didn't remember how much! I'm sure that hearing me speak became a blur of:

"My knee . . . blah, blah . . . knee hurts . . . . blah, blah . . . knees . . . scared . . still weak . . blah, blah . . my knee . . . knees . . . blah, blah. . "

You get the point.

But after a short while, I loosened up and my form drastically improved. I love being on the slopes and wish it could become another hobby of mine, but when my knee is aching the entire time, I'm seeing people carried off on stretchers, and I'm having flashbacks of the Keystone Ski Clinic, it just doesn't seem like the most brilliant idea. One false move and I could, for the third time, be in need of a new ACL. And that thought really limits how much fun a person can have.
I did have a blast with my friends, and I hope to ski again sometime, but sadly I'll never make it to the moguls or even the intermediate slopes with this knee. Good thing green is my favorite color.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am glad to hear that you did NOT tear your acl again!! Love you.

Pink Sun Drops said...

Skiing!! How fun!! Glad your knee was okay this time around!

k said...

Glad you made it out in one piece! Yay for skiing!

Stacey said...

I've always wanted to go skiing! It looks like so much fun, but I've got two bad knees and have always been scared I'd really mess them up if I hit the slopes. Glad you had fun!!

Oh, and I'd love to meet you when I'm in D.C. next month ... I'm just not sure if I'll have a whole lot of time - I'll be there March 13-14, unless my plans change. I'm actually staying in Fairfax, so it's kind of weird. Anyhow, I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I get my schedule nailed down. :)

my life is brilliant said...

Glad you made it okay. I've never gone skiing for the same reason. I never tore an ACL or anything, but my knees dislocate pretty easily. This post makes me never want to try it, but I'm sure I will someday. I'll just be sure to do exercises like 3 months before!

Good positive attitude on the green! :)

Lindsay Blake said...

oh man i remember this... it was a bad day that day. I CAN NOW SEE YOUR BLOGS AGAIN!