Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Happy Again

Lonely didn't last long.

And what I said about not hanging out with QGP's friends anymore? Not true. I'm hanging out with his friend's girlfriend, CzG, tonight . . and her roommate, Dallas, that I also met. We're actually gonna scope out a lady's furniture, because she's moving out of state and literally giving her stuff away.

Last night, I hung out with a girl from back home. (She and I rushed the same sorority freshman year. I transferred, but she stayed and became good friends with my best friend. She moved out here a couple years ago.) We ate at a delicious Mexican place that has half-priced burros on Tuesday nights! Practically the whole time, we talked about BF and how happy we are that she met "the one", etc, etc. BF and her boy are going to meet up here in D.C. in a week - yay! His whole fam is going to be here to meet her. I'm so glad they're meeting up here, because now I get to see her, too.

D.C. Dislikes
So, I've enjoyed living in D.C. so far, but I've been here long enough to find some things I don't like (which isn't that tough, I guess). For starters, I don't mind the metro in itself. It's fast, it's easy, and it saves me lots of money. If I didn't use the metro, I'd be paying an extra $100/month for parking (and that's half price!) plus gas to drive to work and back. I already pay $85/month to park underground at my apartment. The thing about the metro that I don't like . . the smell. It doesn't smell like garbage or even body odor . . it just smells. And there are plenty of times that I have to smoosh myself in there when it's packed. Full house. I mean, you couldn't fit another half a person if you wanted to. Also, the fact that I have $8 in unusable metro fare just sitting in my purse is frustrating. It's because two of my tickets have been demagnetized by either my cell phone or iPod or something in my purse. And I have to go to a specific metro stop to get them refunded. Of course, I never feel up for that. When I leave work, I'm going home!, not taking a detour!

Another thing that's annoying is the parking, of course. The majority of times you go somewhere, you're going to have to pay to park in a garage or something. It's just too time-consuming to drive around looking for a spot.

So basically, I have issues with transportation.

I also have a hard time with all the homeless people. I ignore them . . all of them. Pretend like I don't hear them or see them. . like they're invisible. Most people do. But it kinda makes me feel bad. But it's not like I can drop change in every cup I see. I'd be broke! The number of homeless people, though, is just crazy. Every morning, as I walk to work, I walk by at least six . . usually they're talking to themselves or something as they sit on their benches or the sidewalk.

Of course, I can't list things I don't like without mentioning the humidity. It really is that bad. There are days I walk home thinking the heat isn't unbearable, but the air is so thick, and by the time I make it home, I want to shower again.

D.C. Delights
What I love about the city is how fast-paced it is. You can't help but feel important when you walk down the street . . whether you are or not. It's an important city . . one of the most important cities in the world. I love feeling a part of that in some way.

I like knowing I could go take a walk on the Mall . . even though I never do. I like being able to see the Memorials, the Washington Monument, and the Capitol from my roof. . especially at night when they're all lit up.

I like that there are people from everywhere. (Kinda like college, but all grown-up.) And that none of them (or not many) plan on staying forever. I don't either, but I'm going to enjoy it while I'm here.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I always said that I'd move to D.C. after college, but somehow I never got around to it. Now I really wish I had! Every summer when I was in college I went to a journalism conference at the downtown Mariott. We always had so much fun exploring the city and partying and - of course learning all about journalism! Ha!

And I do remember how many homeless people there were. It would always break our hearts and even though we figured they probably used our money for other things besides food, we'd give them a dollar or two here and there. It's just so sad to see that sort of desperation in our nation's capital. :(

Cady said...

i know what you mean about the homeless people. when i was in eighth grade, we would make lunches on sabbath and give them out downtown. it was amazing. d.c. is the best place though, in my opinion. i would *love* to move back up there.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »