Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Corn

Did I really just forget THE CORN? No mention of Nebraska sweet corn, the best corn in the nation? I suppose the corn really deserves a post of its own anyway.

We had plenty of it, that's for certain! After a small miscommunication one evening, Mom showed up with two dozen ears to add to Grandma's two dozen! But an overabundance of corn is never a bad thing and Mom ended up shucking her corn and freezing it for later.

DSC_0913

The table was set especially for corn . .

DSC_1038

And it was the perfect side to our summer meal of grilled burgers, napa cabbage salad*, fresh watermelon, and Grandma's famous baked beans.

DSC_1046

The cousins and I savored every last bite of that corn . .

DSC_1047

And I mean, we really cleaned it off . .

DSC_1049

Even my little niece Sophia went to town . .

DSC_1151

Just one more thing I miss about Nebraska. And if you've never tasted it, I wish I could share!

*What I can share is a recipe for the napa cabbage salad. It's another big hit at our family gatherings, and this year, my cousin handed out adorable recipe cards so now we can make it on our own.

Napa Cabbage Salad
1 head napa cabbage (chopped)
6-8 green onions (chopped)
Melt 1 stick margarine
Add two packages unseasoned ramen noodles
1 pkg sliced almonds and 1 1/2 oz. sesame seeds browned
Cool.
Add dressing 15 minutes prior to serving.
Dressing: 1 c. oil, 1/2 c. white vinegar, 2/3 c. sugar 2 TB soy sauce.

It's no sweet corn, but you're gonna love it!

2 comments:

Pink Sun Drops said...

That plate of food looks like the most delicious barbecue plate of food I have EVER seen! My mouth is watering! Oh, and did you grill the corn? I loooove grilled corn!

Erin said...

I love this post! Just look at all of that fabulous corn! There are very few things that are sweater than a good ear of corn on a hot summer day. Yum yum.