Friday, September 29, 2006

My First Mistake

I’d like to start my post with a short prayer:

“Dear Lord, I want to thank you for not allowing me to be at my desk when Boston came by yesterday all fired up. Thank you that he had hours to calm down before seeing me, and thank you that the situation wasn’t worse . . although it was a really bad mistake. I pray that the partner who suffered embarassment in front of the client because of my mistake will somehow be able to move past this situation and continue to be kind to me in the future and not regret that he was the one who decided to hire me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

Oh, it was bad, people. My first mistake was not.good. There are several things that can make a person sick to their stomach . . and finding a client report that they put together on their chair with a post-it that reads, “This is NOT good” is one of them.

The jist of what happened it this: I included a piece of information for Client #1 in Client #2’s report, so when a partner in my firm, along with Boston (who I report to) was sitting in front of fifteen people at Client #2’s office, he was more than a little embarrassed. In fact, he left the room . . because of my mistake.

I've been daydreaming about the days Boston would tell me how awesome I was and how much he wanted me on his team . . because I'm pretty sure those days are gone.

So, I guess what I’ve learned from this is: Don’t make mistakes. Just don’t do it. That is today’s bit of wisdom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. I have a feeling it's not as bad as it seems. EVERYbody makes mistakes that one is not going to make or break the deal. You do such an awesome job and you're stepping up and taking complete responsibility so that's even better. Either way I'm keeping you in my prayers, that you continue to handle it as well as you seem to be!

Big Sky Girl said...

That bad huh?

Call me later, if you want to talk. It's okay they'll get over is eventually.

Sorry it happened.

s said...

yuck- i hate making mistakes that affect other people. it's ok though everyone does it and i'm sure it will all be fixed before you know it.

Cady said...

i also must say, it seems bad now, but it'll all blow over. i have made a few big mistakes, and making mistakes is bad as a journalist, but everyone got over it. i'm sorry it happened though. i know exactly how you feel.

k said...

that totally sucks, but everyone does make mistakes. i am sure you will never make that one again. we can't learn and get better without making mistakes. bummer that is happened but they, and you, will get over it soon. just dazzle them with the next one!!!