Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Farmtown Grandma

After the tears had dried the other night, I called Farmtown Grandma to wish her a happy birthday. She and I don’t talk often, so it was nice to hear her voice. At the age of 73, she has to be one of the most active senior citizens alive. She works two jobs and does all of her own handyman jobs around the house. She wouldn’t dream of hiring anyone. Add to that her passion for sewing and a weekly country dance class and you’ve got quite the lady.

She told me a story about the new (only pretty old, but repaired) riding lawnmower she just bought. (Yes, she mows her own lawn, and this is the first time she’s bought a riding mower since moving to town). Apparently, it broke down on her mid-mow and she didn’t want it to sit out in the rain that night, so she pushed it, yes pushed it by herself, all the way around the house and into the shed.

I’m not surprised, but it always makes me smile to hear her stories. The last time I visited her, she told me how lazy she had been that day. She had fallen asleep on the couch for 2 hours when she had so much else to do. Never mind that she had already mowed her lawn, fertilized it, and cleaned out both machines that day.

Toward the end of our call, my cousin Elli called in on the landline. Grandma insisted on putting the cell phone and the cordless up to each other so Elli and I could try to talk! So funny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to hear those stories! That's the kind of older lady I want to be. The neighborhood grandma we grew up with is 84 or 86 and still does everything she used to. That's so amazing.