Tuesday, May 01, 2007

on taking what was made for someone else

I love the handicapped stall. Maybe it's because it's so spacious that it almost feels like home. Maybe it's because the seat cover dispenser is right next to the stall - so convenient. Or maybe it's because it's the very last stall in a row of stalls making it much easier to stay discreet. Much harder for someone to see my feet.

Whatever the reason, I almost always choose that stall. And today was no exception.

As I sat there taking care of business, I heard the bathroom door open. Not unusual. Fortunately I wasn't doing anything embarrassing or feet liftable. Suddenly there was a tug at my stall door. As if there weren't at least five other stalls available!

Once the woman realized the stall was occupied, she let out a loud sigh, "SHOOT!"

I couldn't believe it! I understand if someone else likes the handicapped stall, but is it that big of a deal?

Soon I was flushing and ready to face this impatient and very particular stallmate.

But once I opened the door, a wave of guilt came over me. There she sat, waiting in a wheelchair! What if it had been an emergency and I, perfectly capable of using any other stall, had selfishly taken the only stall she could use?! I guess I'll think twice before using that stall again!

8 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

I have thought about that when I use that stall too. Now I will think just a little more each time I use it.

FYI studies show the first stall is the cleanest b/c noone wants to use the first one. Not sure if that is true but worth a shot.

Pink Sun Drops said...

The thought that could happen crossed my mind for the first time today! Too funny that you posted about it actually happening!

k said...

i've also heard the first stall is the cleanest.

well, at least she only had to wait a few minutes for you to finish up. i use the hc stall when i am changing - and that always seems to take forever.

my life is brilliant said...

Oh, how sad! But what are the odds?

I've also heard the first stall is cleanest. However, someone who does very bad things to our bathroom must have heard that too. I swear, we must have a serious lover of ethnic foods. I have marveled on more than one occasion at the sheer physics it must have taken that poor woman (whoever she is) to make such a mess in such strange places ...

Sorry to leave such a gross comment. lol

Alyssa said...

I always use the HC stall but usually because I have a double stroller and 4 kids in toe!

Anonymous said...

I did something similar; when at a public pool a little boy was going around the edge hand over hand and came right up to me as I was leaning up against the side of the pool talking to a friend, he said "Excuse me can I get by you?" I said, "Can you just go around?" I was irritated. He said "I can't walk!" and of course just then I saw his wheelchair by the edge of the pool. I felt HORRIBLE. I think I turned purple...

Anonymous said...

i always pick that stall too, but i've never thought about someone really needing it. i've heard what k has also...about the first stall being the cleanest...maybe i should start using that one!

Courtney said...

!!! OMG !!! How horrific!

I will def. think twice before using that stall from now on.